Sunday, September 10, 2017

My class at John C. Campbell Folk School

Wow, what a fun weekend! I got together with a great assistant instructor, Jerry Chandler, and ten of my newest woodturning friends for a class at the Folk School in Brasstown, N.C.

Jerry and I showed up expecting eight students but the number had climbed to ten, a challenging size since only a few had any turning experience. We started off with the basic beads and cove stick and progressed to a handy carvers mallet, a great addition for any shop. We moved on to using a scroll chuck as we turned a spin top with chattering from a dinner knife. Then on to an awl which helped teach the process of making most any woodturning tool handle.
We finished with a change to perpindicular grain with a small ring bowl. I think just about everyone experienced turning pine, osage orange, bradford pear and perhaps oak or dogwood.
We had a lot of impressed lookers at the Sunday morning show and tell of class results.
Here is a short video I threw together. I was too busy during class time to think about using my camcorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment