Saturday, January 14, 2017

Offering Plates

I was asked to make some offering plates for my small church. I was honored and got started. I used kiln dried red oak and here are the three plates I turned.  This presented several challenges:

  1. Getting the right wood. I attempted this a few years ago with white oak that was still green and most of the blanks and rough turnings cracked. Kiln dried wood is the only way to go. But it did require jointing two pieces to get 12" blanks.
  2. coming up with a design that will allow them to stack
  3. making them identical 
Wes Jones, a member of my club wrote an article on this for the American Woodturner and was gracious enough to allow me to post to my website for others to use.
Here is the video I made for this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment