Wednesday, September 7, 2016

New Hollowing System

I recently got a hollowing system from Lyle Jamieson and have been learning to use it. Most of my hollow forms in the past tended to be smaller as I tended to rely on hand held tools. Some experienced woodturners are quite comfortable with handle held elbow brace systems with 3/4" bars but not me! Once you get past 1/2" bars, and maybe even then, a system like this Jamieson rig with a laser takes far less skill and worry out of the process. It is just easier and makes turning more fun. You can see a recent video on it here:

5 comments:

  1. I have a similar system and am just learning to use it, previously I had hollowed small containers from 1.5 inches to 5 inches. This rig allowed me to make my first 12 inch vessel, quite plain but, now to experiment with shapes, wood types and figure, carving, burning, etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your hollowing. I have yet to hollow one as big as 12" but it is on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike great videos but I wish you would tell us the size of the finished bowl, not just you almost all do not tell us the sizes.
    Thanks Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that feedback. I will keep it in mind.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete